February 01, 2012

32 - the Law will be upon hearts and minds

1/12 of the bible read and complete! So far I have learned so many things about the LORD our God. This month is a journey through God's laws, setting up the tabernacle, ministry of the priesthood and Israels journey through the wilderness.

 Ten Commandments, painting by Rembrandt (1659)
Chareen's Thoughts:
  • Exodus 19:10-11 ...and be prepared by the third day, for on the third day the LORD will come down on Mount Sinai in the sight of all the people. This echo's to me of the third day Jesus arose from the grave. Imagine being privileged to be there when He came down to meet with all the people ?
  • You can find the Ten Commandments in the following scriptures:  Exodus 20:1-17 and in Deuteronomy 5: 4-21
  •  It amazes me how the Lord protects us and our nakedness.  How important this aspect of our humanity is to Him.  In Genesis 3:21 He clothed Adam and Eve as soon as they realised that they were naked. Here in Exodus 20:26 He tells them not to build an alter with steps up to it ... so that your nakedness is not exposed upon it. Covering our nakedness is important to Him.
  • I enjoy reading about God's laws and justice. I love how specific He is.  He did not leave the people wondering what now ? Reading Exodus 21:1-36 is all about if this happens then do that.
  • I am so glad that I live under the New Testament covenant. The old covenant states in Exodus 21:23-24 But if any damage follows, then you shall give life for life,  Eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot. Jesus said in Matthew 5:38-39: You have heard that it was said, An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth. But I say to you, Do not resist the evil man [who injures you]; but if anyone strikes you on the right jaw or cheek, turn to him the other one too.
  • Reading about their social law and moral law has given me a fresh understanding of the depth of His grace and mercy towards us.
  • As I read the laws about injuries to persons I am struck by how even today we have many of the same laws and applications in our society.

but showing faithful love to a thousand generations of those who love Me and keep My commands. Exodus 20:6 I am so blessed because my parents and grandparents love the Lord.  I live under the hand of his faithful love because of them.  My children and children's children will live under His faithful love because of Him.
"This is the covenant that I will make with them after those days, says the LORD: I will put My laws on their hearts, and I will write them on their minds..." Hebrews 10:16 As a new covenant believer grafted into His family I am privileged to be blessed by these words and covenant.  He will put His law on my heart and He will write them on my mind and the minds of my children.  This is a great scripture to pray over the lives of our children and children's children.
I am grateful for His faithfulness to a THOUSAND generations.

When Jesus was asked what the greatest commandment was His response was: Matthew 22:36-40
36Teacher, which kind of commandment is great and important (the principal kind) in the Law? [Some commandments are light--which are heavy?]
    37And He replied to him, You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind (intellect).
    38This is the great (most important, principal) and first commandment.
    39And a second is like it: You shall love your neighbor as [you do] yourself.
    40These two commandments sum up and upon them depend all the Law and the Prophets.
Matthew 22:36-40

Blessings
Chareen

For Further reading:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...